DRIVE THE GROWTH OF MYANMAR’S MOST INNOVATIVE ORGANIZATION
TECH FOR SOCIAL CHANGE ASSOCIATE
- • Do you want to work with the tech community and civil society to accelerate change and development in Myanmar?
- • Do you want to help a community with new technologies?
- • Are you a community builder at heart?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Tech for Social Change team is looking for a talented professional to serve as its Tech for Social Change Associate. Your job will be to build and foster the technology ecosystem for social good and contribute to the development of new tech resources for Myanmar. You will work closely with Tech for Social Change manager.
Key responsibilities include:
- • Support Tech for Social change team to plan, implement and grow the use of technology for social impact among NGOs, CSOs, government and private sectors
- • Writing tutorials, blogging, creating and localizing resources for the community
- • Researching technology tools for CSOs and develop “how-to” resources
- • Organize hackathons, tech events, and meetups for the community
- • Work together with the team to build and grow Myanmar’s civic tech ecosystem
- • Support the development of tech for social change communities outside of Yangon
Innovator mindset – You must have innovative ideas to help local community with technology.
Excellent writing skills – You’re a good communicator and are fluent in both English and Burmese. You are able to communicate technical concepts effectively and concisely to non-techies. You are able to write clear documentation in both Burmese and English.
Interpersonal skills - You enjoy mentoring and helping other people as a team player and maintain a positive attitude and patience in challenging situations.
Excited about civic technology – You don’t need to be a tech guru, but you need to be excited about civic tech. You enthusiastically try out new apps, tools and technologies and are always thinking about how they might be improved or applied in Myanmar. Bonus points if you already have a good knowledge and understanding of local tech industry and volunteered in tech community.
Organizational skills – You are great at getting things done. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects and you have good attention to detail.
Highly resourceful & adaptable – You are great at figuring things out. When we don’t have the answer, you’ll be good at figuring it out for yourself. You’re also highly flexible and are comfortable working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
Passion – Phandeeyar aims to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. It applies for working with change agents such as civil society groups, developers, government and independent media. You must be excited to also use your skills to help those working on socially driven initiatives.
- • Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
- • Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- • Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- • To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).