JOIN THE TEAM
- ● Are you a talented Finance Manager?
- ● Are you passionate about making sense of all the financial data ?
- ● Do you want to use your skills to support a team that is harnessing the potential of Myanmar’s connectivity revolution?
- ● Do you want to work with the tech community, civil society organizations, social enterprises and independent media to accelerate change and development in Myanmar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an ICT Hub designed to foster social innovation, civictech and ICT4D/M4D in Myanmar. It is a 6000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Phandeeyar brings the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and independent media to build the apps, tools and content to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar operates a co-working space and it runs large events, workshops and trainings, as well as seminars and meetups. Phandeeyar is currently being incubated through the international NGO, Internews. It is in the process of being established as a local NGO. See more information below.
Phandeeyar is looking for a highly talented finance or accounting professional to be its Finance Manager. The Finance Manager will be responsible for managing all of Phandeeyar’s finances. You will have the overall responsibility for the efficient operation of the finance department, the timely delivery of monthly financial reports and the preparation and analysis of budgets. You will supervise Phandeeyar’s Accountant and any additional finance staff. You will report directly to the Operations Director.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- ● To ensure all expenditures are conducted and reported in compliance with the requirements outlined by the funder and in compliance with Phandeeyar policies and procedures
- ● To oversee the preparation of monthly financial reports
- ● To ensure that expense data is properly submitted, and that all expenses are reasonable, allowable and allocable, and conform to cost principles outlined in funder regulations
- ● To ensure that all project funds are secure and accounted for
- ● To record all payments and maintain supporting documents for audits and verification
- ● To prepare other reports required by local or head office management
- ● To ensure proper allocation of project funds as determined by the project purpose and project agreement with donors
- ● To prepare budget and budget narrative for both project modification/extension and new proposals
- ● To manage Phandeeyar’s revenue streams
- ● To meet at least twice per month with Operations Director to discuss budget vs projected spend
- ● To prepare a monthly analysis comparing budget and actual and providing key information to management on the reason for any variation
- ● To meet at least once per month with the Operations Director to analyze spending projection in line with all concurrent projects (eg. Shared costs, expense allocation)
- ● To maintain appropriate pretty cash record and monthly cash count and reconciliation
- ● To prepare monthly WTR (wire transfer request)
- ● To prepare international payments via check request / wire transfer request
- ● Finance/Accounting qualifications – You need to have a Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting/Auditing – ACCA, CIMa, or CPA is preferred
- ● Finance/Accounting experience – You need to have a minimum of 3 years working experience in accounting. Experience working in an international environment is preferable. Experience working with an international NGO would be ideal. Deep understanding of your field is a must. This includes accounting, finance, budgeting and cost control principles.
- ● Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects with limited supervision, often on tight timelines and you have excellent attention to detail.
- ● Trustworthy / reliable – We need to be able to count on you. The success of our activities will depend on you. You’ll be managing our finances and helping manage our relationships with donors.
- ● Communications – You need to be fluent in both English and Myanmar.
- ● Excited about our mission – We want to work with people who are excited about what we’re doing. You don’t need to be a tech guru, but you at least need to be excited about using technology to improve Myanmar.
- Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It may very occasionally involve some travel around the country.
- Hours: This is 5½ day per week job, but please note that because Phandeeyar is a community tech hub the hours will not be standard office hours (9am-5pm). We hold a lot of events in the evenings and on the weekends. You will something have to work late and on the weekends. However time will be given off in-lieu (to make up for this).
- Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- To apply: Please send an email to email@example.com explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long!).
- Deadline:Friday 13 January 2017, but note that applications will be considered on a rolling basis so please apply as soon as you can.
- Note: We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an ICT Hub designed to foster social innovation, civictech and ICT4D/M4D in Myanmar. Phandeeyar brings the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and independent media to build the apps, tools and content to accelerate change and development in Myanmar.
Phandeeyar operates a co-working space and we run programs to expand the pool of tech talent and to help organizations use technology to increase their impact.
Phandeeyar has the best view in town: it is located in the heart of downtown Yangon in an almost 6000 square foot space overlooking Mahabandoola Gardens with spectacular 360 views of the city and its surrounds.
Phandeeyar was born out of Code for Change Myanmar, which organized the country’s first-ever hackathons. These hackathons highlighted the potential for social innovation in Myanmar. Phandeeyar’s backers include Internews, an international NGO that empowers people through better access to news and information, the Omidyar Network, the social venture fund established by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, the Open Society Foundations, the Schmidt Family Foundation and Baydin.
To understand more about what Phandeeyar does please check out our Facebook page and Twitter feed:
For more information about jobs please contact: