- ● Are you an experienced technology manager? (Software architect, head of engineering, or a serious full stack developer)
- ● Do you want to use your skills to grow the capacity of the Myanmar tech community?
- ● Are you excited about helping startups, civil society groups and others use technology to change Myanmar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is a tech hub that is helping to develop the technology and innovation ecosystem in Myanmar. Our mission is to use technology to accelerate change and development. We bring the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and independent media to build the apps, tools and content that Myanmar needs. We have an awesome 6000 square foot space in the heart of downtown Yangon. We run a coworking area, classrooms, an event space and a busy program of activities. Last year we held 42 workshops, 36 MeetUps, 21 seminars and 10 major events, including 3 hackathons and a startup competition. In 2016 we will be launching many new exciting initiatives. This includes expanding our support for tech startups in Myanmar: we’ll be launching an incubator, a tech entrepreneurship program and a makerspace. (See more information below).
Phandeeyar is looking for an experienced technology leader to serve as its Technology Director. The Technology Director will be responsible for running all of Phandeeyar’s technology programs. This includes Phandeeyar’s tech education initiatives, our open data platform, makerspace, and our technology work with change agents such as civil society and independent media. You’ll also play a key role advising startups in Phandeeyar’s incubator and participants in our entrepreneurship and civictech labs programs. Overall, your job will be to expand the pool of tech talent in Myanmar and the use of technology for economic, social and political impact.
Key responsibilities include:
● Developing and managing all of Phandeeyar’s technology education programs.
● Building and managing Phandeeyar’s Geek Squad a diverse team of technologists on call to help the community
● Leading the technical aspects of Phandeeyar’s own technology projects, such as its open data platform.
● Providing technical advice and mentorship to startups in Phandeeyar’s Incubator and participants in the entrepreneurship and civictech labs programs
● Designing and managing activities such as hackathons, apps competitions and other similar events to develop the skills of tech community
● Working closely with Phandeeyar’s Executive Director to help manage and develop the organization
● Supporting other key Phandeeyar initiatives
Technical skills and experience You must have a broad set of technical skills and have experience in technology leadership positions. This could as a software architect, the head of an engineering team or a highly accomplished tech lead or full stack developer. You should be comfortable dealing with everything from the server, network and hosting environment to user interface and user design. A strong understanding of business and customer needs is especially important. Ideally your experience will be in startups or with companies that are rapidly growing; you need to know how to manage technology development in an entrepreneurial environment. Ideally you will also have some experience or at the very least a strong interest in hardware hacking.
Education & training skills An integral part of this job will be developing and scaling technology education programs. Demonstrated experience at teaching technical skills would be highly useful.
Management skills – You’re awesome at getting things done. You’re a selfstarter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can build and manage a team, juggle multiple projects, craft partnerships, raise money, lead negotiations, whilst paying close attention to details.
Communications – You’re an excellent communicator with great written and spoken English. You’re as comfortable speaking to a crowd or a classroom as you are mentoring a startup. The ability to speak and write in Myanmar language is highly desirable.
Passion Phandeeyar is trying to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. It works not just with the tech community, but with change agents such as civil society groups, social enterprises and independent media. You must be excited to use your skills to help those working on socially driven initiatives.
● Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country and internationally.
● Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a startup. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
● Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
● To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are perfect for this role, a link to your GitHub profile plus any other relevant links (eg. StackOverFlow flair etc) and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long!).
● Deadline: Wednesday 31st May 2017, but note that applications will be considered on a rolling basis so please apply as soon as you can.
● Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
To learn more about Phandeeyar and what we do, please visit.
For more information about jobs please contact: email@example.com