- ● Are you excited by tech opportunities in Myanmar?
- ● Do you want to work closely with civil society and government organisations to help them use technology for good?
- ● Are you passionate about the open source and open data movements?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is a community tech hub that is helping to develop the technology and innovation ecosystem in Myanmar. Our mission is to use technology to accelerate change and development. We bring the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and independent media to build the apps, tools and content that Myanmar needs. We have an awesome 6000 square foot space in the heart of downtown Yangon. We run a coworking area, classrooms and an event space and we have a busy program of activities. Last year we’ve launched many new exciting initiatives, including a startup accelerator and a makerspace. This year, we are launching a social media fellowship and a Phandeeyar labs, a civic tech pendant to the accelerator.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented manager to run its Labs program. The Labs Manager will work closely with the Social Impact Director to help develop and execute all of Phandeeyar’s labs activities. Your job will be to help make Phandeeyar a key driver of innovation in the public space and support the development of new civic tech products.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Social Impact Director to design and formally launch Phandeeyar Labs, including helping to build a team and a network of mentors and recruiting high potential projects
- Working closely with participating civil society / government organisations and the Data team to help labs partner identify existing technologies and existing data sources on which to build
- Working closely with participating civil society / government organisations to help them undertake a user centred design process.
- Supporting other key Phandeeyar initiatives
Product development experience – You must have had experience working on product design or development. Alternatively, you must have had considerable experience working with civil society or government organisations on the implementation of a technology-based solution.
Tech experience – You don’t need to be a tech guru, but you should have a good understanding of the open source movement and be familiar with github. If you do not have this experience, you’ll need to demonstrate an ability and willingness to learn rapidly.
Mentoring & training skills – You will be great at working one on one with senior civil society leaders, as well as helping them work with others. Teaching or training experience would be very valuable.
Management skills – You’re awesome at getting things done. You’re a self starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can build and manage a team, juggle multiple projects, manage donor expectations, raise funding for projects, whilst paying close attention to details.
Communications – You’re an excellent communicator with great written and spoken Burmese and good written and spoken English. You’re as comfortable speaking to a group of peers or a classroom as you are to an international donor.
Passion – Phandeeyar is trying to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. You must be excited to use your skills to help those working on socially driven initiatives.
Location: This role is based in Yangon. It will likely involve some travel around the country.
Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.