Digital Media Project Manager
- ● Do you understand how digital media works?
- ● Are you passionate about the future of digital media in Myanmar?
- ● Do you want to support digital media startups, help organizations use digital media and help Myanmar’s independent media thrive in the new digital media environment?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is a community tech hub that is helping to develop the technology and innovation ecosystem in Myanmar. Our mission is to use technology to accelerate change and development. We bring the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and independent media to build the apps, tools and content that Myanmar needs. We have an awesome 6000 square foot space in the heart of downtown Yangon. We run a coworking area,classrooms and an event space and we have a busy program of activities. Last year we held 42 workshops, 36 MeetUps, 21 seminars and 10 major events, including 3 hackathons and a startup competition. In 2016, we will be launching many new exciting initiatives, including an
incubator and a makerspace.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to run its digital media program. The Digital Media Manager will be responsible for developing and managing all of Phandeeyar’s digital media initiatives. Your job will ensure that strong independent voices thrive in Myanmar’s new digital media environment.
Key responsibilities include:
● Supporting the development of a strong digital media ecosystem in Myanmar including content producers, advertisers, ad networks and digital agencies
● Fostering new media startups
● Helping Myanmar’s independent media take full advantage of digital media
● Developing the digital journalism and digital business skills of Myanmar journalists and media executives
● Helping local communities take advantage of digital media through initiatives such as citizen journalism and community radio
Strong understanding of digital media you need to have an excellent understanding of digital media and the way it works. Ideally, this would include knowledge of both digital media business models and also of digital journalism skills.
Management experience You need to have demonstrated management skills. You must be able to develop and execute projects from scratch, managing all elements of project design to marketing and recruitment, through to logistics and budgeting.
Flexible, Adaptable & Reliable you need to be comfortable working in a fast moving, rapidly changing the work environment. You need to be able to collaborate with a big, diverse team and to juggle many different projects and responsibilities, often with tight timeframes.
Communications skills You’re a good communicator with strong English and Myanmar language skills. You need to be as comfortable speaking to a workshop as you are in small groups.
Curious, Fast Learner Digital media changes rapidly. Intellectual curiosity and the ability to
learn and apply lots of new skills quickly is a must.
Sectoral experience – You must have had experience working in digital media. Experience in both the business and content production sides would be ideal. Experience working in digital media in Myanmar and relationships with senior figures in independent media in Myanmar is
also highly desirable.
Passion Phandeeyar is committed to developing the digital media ecosystem to expand people’s access to the high-quality information required for a democratic society to flourish. You must also be excited by this mission.
● Employment: This is a fulltime position.
● Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It will involve some travel around the country.
● Hours: Phandeeyar is a startup community tech hub. As such, it does not have standard office hours (9am5pm).You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however, there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
● Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
● To apply: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please:
○ Explain why you are perfect for this role
○ Include links to all your public digital media profiles, as well as public
sites/accounts that you currently manage or recently worked on
○ Attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
● Deadline: Tuesday 31st May 2016, but note that applications will be considered on a rolling basis so please apply as soon as you can.
● Note: We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.