- ● Are you passionate about data?
- ● Do you love translating data into evidence and stories?
- ● Do you get excited at the idea of helping organizations in Myanmar use data to influence policy and decision-making?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is a community tech hub that is helping to develop the technology and innovation ecosystem in Myanmar. Our mission is to use technology to accelerate change and development. We bring the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and independent media to build the apps, tools and content that Myanmar needs. We have an awesome 6000 square foot space in the heart of downtown Yangon. We run a coworking area, classrooms and an event space and we have a busy program of activities. Last year we’ve launched many new exciting initiatives, including an open data portal, a startup accelerator and a makerspace. This year, we are launching a social media fellowship program, a mapping initiative, and an labs program to support the incubation of civic tech solutions.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to serve as its Data Analyst. You job will be to identify relevant datasets and help translate this data into stories and evidence that can help change agents influence policy and decision-making.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
● Actively looking for publicly available datasets and archiving them on Phandeeyar’s Open Data portal with appropriate meta-data
● Identifying stories in the data and producing content for the OpenDevelopmentMyanmar’s website and social media accounts
● Developing and/or localizing resources to support the collect, release, cleaning and increasing use and understanding of data in Myanmar
● Assisting in designing, organizing and conducting capacity building initiatives on (open) data
● Providing mentoring support to change agents
● Assisting in organizing data events, managing promotion and logistics
IT skills – You will have substantial experience using Excel. Experience with data visualization and/or mapping software such as Tableau or CartoDB would also be a bonus as would experience working with wordpress.
Passionate about technology and data – You should be comfortable with numbers and datasets. You are passionate about continually learning new skills in technology, data analysis and data visualization.
Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects with limited supervision, often on tight timelines, and you have excellent attention to detail.
Communications – You’re a good communicator with solid written and spoken skills in both Myanmar and English.
Mentoring & training skills – you enjoy working with people and sharing your knowledge. You will be great at working one on one with civil society partners and will be able to develop and run workshops.
Sectoral experience – Experience working in investigative journalism and/or research is highly desirable. Experience working in or with NGOs/civil society and/or the tech sector would be a bonus.
Passion – you must be excited about the potential of technology to drive change and development in Myanmar. You’ll need to work with a broad range of groups.
- ● Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It will involve some travel around the country.
- ● Hours: Phandeeyar is a start-up community tech hub. As such, it does not have standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- ● Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- ● To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
- Note: We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
To learn more about Phandeeyar and what we do, please visit.
For more information about jobs please contact: email@example.com