JOIN MYANMAR’S MOST EXCITING TEAM
● Are you passionate about data and growing data movement in Myanmar?
● Do you want to help make data about Myanmar publicly available to empower researchers, technologists, journalists and civil society organizations?
● Do you want to take the lead in building a pioneering open data portal in Myanmar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is a community tech hub that is helping to develop the technology and innovation ecosystem in Myanmar. Our mission is to use technology to accelerate change and development. We bring the tech community together with civil society, social enterprises and ing role in growing and supporting the OpenStreetMap community, Leading Phandeeyaindependent media to build the apps, tools and content that Myanmar needs. We have an awesome 6000 square foot space in the heart of downtown Yangon. We run a coworking area, classrooms and an event space and we have a busy program of activities. Last year we’ve launched many new exciting initiatives, including a startup accelerator and a makerspace. This year, we launched a social media program and a Phandeeyar labs, a civic tech pendant to the accelerator.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to serve as its Data Analyst. Your job will be to identify relevant datasets and help translate this data into stories and evidence that can help change agents influence policy and decision-making.
Key responsibilities include
the following, other duties may be assigned:
● Actively looking for publicly available datasets and archiving them on Phandeeyar’s Open Data portal with appropriate meta-data
● Identifying stories in the data and producing content for Development Myanmar’s website (https://opendevelopmentmyanmar.net/) and Open social media accounts
● Developing and/or localization resources to support collection, publication, cleaning and increasing usage and understanding of data in Myanmar. For example, helping to localise open source data tools such as Tabula (http://tabula.technology)
● Assisting in designing, organizing and conducting capacity building initiatives on (open) data
● Providing mentoring support to change agents such as civil society organisations and journalists to improve their proficiency in working with data
● Assisting in organizing logistics and promotion for data-related events such as meetups and hackathons
● Given the fluid nature of Phandeeyar activities, staff may be asked to support on a variety of other tasks. Phandeeyar also encourages staff to diversify their area of expertise and take on increasing responsibilities.
Data Analysis – You are an experienced data analyst or statistician, and you have a knack for getting “behind the numbers” and extract findings from complex datasets through rigorous analysis.
IT skills – At a minimum you will have substantial experience using Excel. Ideally you also have experience using statistics software such as R, STATA or SPSS. Experience that would be beneficial include:
● Familiarity with data visualization and/or mapping software such as Tableau or CartoDB
● Familiarity with the WordPress CMS
● Familiarity with web scraping tools
Passionate about technology and data – You should be comfortable with numbers and datasets. You are passionate about continually learning new skills in technology, data analysis and data visualization.
Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects with limited supervision, often on tight timelines, and you have excellent attention to detail.
Communications – You’re a good communicator with solid written and spoken skills in both Myanmar and English.
Mentoring & training skills – you enjoy working with people and sharing your knowledge. You will be great at working one on one with civil society partners and will be able to develop and run workshops.
Sectoral experience – Experience working in investigative journalism and/or research is highly desirable. Experience working in or with NGOs/civil society and/or the tech sector would be a bonus.
Passion – you must be excited about the potential of technology to drive change and development in Myanmar. You’ll need to work with a broad range of groups.
Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It will involve some travel around the country.
Hours: Phandeeyar is a start-up community tech hub. As such, it does not have standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
To apply: Please send an email to email@example.com explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
Note: We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
To learn more about Phandeeyar and what we do, please visit.
facebook.com/Phandeeyar | twitter.com/Phandeeyar | instagram.com/phandeeyar/ | http://phandeeyar.org/
For more information about jobs please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org